DTech Members are part of the friendly and supportive DTech community which has grown to include over 400 women studying computer science, engineering and math/statistics at Duke.
Members with technical summer internships may also apply to become DTech Scholars and participate in our flagship summer program.
DTech Member Program
The DTech Member Program includes:
- Activities and on-line resources to enhance students' Duke academic experience and support their career development
- Opportunities to get to know and collaborate with other Duke students in technical majors
- Support from experienced DTech members and alumnae
- Extensive training and support for technical internship recruiting including access to DTech's database of job opportunities
- DTech Explore, a new program specifically for 1st & 2nd year students and those new to tech
DTech Scholar Program
In addition to all the resources provided to DTech Members, the DTech Scholar Program includes:
Internship Support: Scholars participate in a series of four interactive workshops during the spring and summer to equip them to make the most of their internships, whether they are in-person or remote.
- These feature advice from previous Scholars, practical exercises for each internship stage, time for reflection, and small group discussions.
- Topics include commonly faced challenges, goal-setting, what to expect on the first day of work, best practices for working with managers and teammates, giving and receiving feedback, asking for help when you’re stuck, networking within your company, preparing for presentations, finishing strong, and celebrating accomplishments.
Community: Every summer, Scholars get to know and support each other by participating in DTech Circles - weekly discussions with 6-8 Scholars.
1x1 Mentorship from an Industry Leader: Scholars are matched with industry leaders who mentor them throughout the summer. DTech is fortunate to have many experienced mentors with a wide range of career and life experiences, and we match mentors based on Scholar’s specific interests and learning goals. While the mentoring commitment is for the summer, many Scholars continue to have a strong relationship with their mentor for years to follow.
In-Person Events & Retreats: The Scholar Program includes an array of in-person networking opportunities, social activities and visits to leading tech companies in locations including Chicago, New York, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle and Raleigh-Durham.
Summer Housing with other DTech Scholars: DTech works to facilitate co-housing for Scholars to enable them to live in community while doing their summer internships in locations including the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle and Raleigh-Durham. We were not able to provide co-housing in summer 2020 or 2021 due to Covid, but hope to restart this program in 2022.