DTech Member FAQs
What is the difference between a DTech Member and a DTech Scholar?
- DTech Members are part of the friendly and supportive DTech community which has grown to include over 400 women studying computer science, engineering and math/statistics at Duke.
- DTech Scholars are Members who have been selected to participate in our flagship summer program while doing technical summer internships.
What is the application window for the Member Program?
Applications were open in the fall and will be open again February 1 - April 1, 2020. Admission will be done on a rolling basis.
Is there a required major for becoming a Member of DTech?
No, but DTech resources and programming will likely be the best fit for students interested in computing-related disciplines such as Computer Science, Engineering and Statistics/Data Science.
I'm just starting out in computer science/engineering. Should I still apply to become a DTech Member?
Yes! We have a wealth of resources for students new to tech, and there's no better time to start building a community that will support you throughout your Duke career. Also, this year we have launched the DTech Explore Program to help freshmen and sophomores get to know each other and explore technical courses and other opportunities together.
When is the best time to apply to become a DTech Member? Should I wait until I have my resume complete?
We encourage you to apply as early as possible during the fall semester so that you can become part of the community and avail yourself of all that DTech has to offer. You do not need a resume to apply to become a DTech Member, and we'll provide resources that will help you create one.
DTech Scholar FAQs
What is the application window for the Scholar Program?
Applications will be open February 1 - April 1, 2021.
What are the eligibility requirements for the Scholar Program?
- DTech membership (This is a separate application process.)
- Acceptance of a technical internship at a company or similar organization
- Completion of DTech Scholar application
- Attendance at a Scholar Information Session (optional for previous Scholars)
- Commitment to actively engage in a weekly DTech Circle, participate in four DTech Scholar workshops focused on making the most of your internship, and give back to the DTech community. In addition, Scholars are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity to be mentored by an industry leader.
What happens if I haven't accepted an internship by April 1st? Do I still have a chance to become a Scholar?
Yes, at that time you'll have the opportunity to complete a provisional DTech Scholar application that indicates your interest in becoming a Scholar. Provisional Scholars will be admitted on a rolling basis after they have accepted a technical summer internship, as long as there is space available.
Will DTech be providing housing for Scholars in 2021?
Based on Duke's suspension of summer activities involving undergraduate travel, it is unlikely we will be able to provide housing in 2021. However, we will help Scholars to find summer roommates as needed. Also, we hope to resume providing DTech Scholar housing in Raleigh-Durham, Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area in summer 2022.
If I was a DTech Scholar previously, can I participate again in 2021?
Yes, and as someone with more experience, you'll have many opportunities to both receive and give support.
Will 2021 DTech Scholars be eligible to reapply to the Scholar program in 2022?
For previous DTech Scholars, what are the advantages of participating again this year?
- Opportunity to give back! In addition to gaining much yourself, you'll also make a difference by sharing your knowledge with Scholars who have less experience
- NEW series of four workshops to help you make the most of your internship. These are being developed with input from DTech alums and previous Scholars, and will be laser-focused on helping you at work right away.
- Getting to know other Scholars and DTech Alumni with similar interests through your Circle
- Opportunity to gain an additional industry mentor
- Option to participate in in-person events and retreats that we hope to hold if Covid-19 safety allows.
How will this summer look different for DTech Members and Scholars?
Scholars will have additional opportunities and commitments, as outlined in the chart below: